What will Life be like for the Neurodiverse and Disabled Post-Pandemic?

Hi there!

I know that's it's been a while since I've posted here. Being on my year abroad and consequently coming back from my year abroad were big challenges for me and I felt like I needed some time to just readjust and settle back in at home, but today I felt like I really need to speak so I'm back!

I know it's been said a million times already but we are truly living in 'unprecedented' times and I hope you are all staying well and safe. I also hope you are trying to be responsible in how you engage with the outside world and those around you. However, what I want to talk about today isn't the pandemic itself, but rather what life will look for those of us who are disabled and/or neurodiverse post-pandemic. Obviously we are no where near going back to complete normality right now but, at least in the UK, rules are starting to relax and the world around us is starting to open up again, be it slowly. This has got me thinking about the challenges posed by a return to 'normal' and what the new 'normal' might look like.

A mother helps her son who is sensory overload in a large crowd,
there is text reading 'too much information.
Firstly, I don't know about other autistic people, but a huge worry for me has been the likelihood of increased sensory overload and social challenges post-lockdown. Lockdown and social distancing has certainly been challenging, but at the same time I am most comfortable at home doing my own thing, somewhat safe from outside noise and chaos. The fear is that in
becoming too comfortable in this state could make being out and social more difficult. I've already found that having been shopping in smaller, local shops has made the larger supermarkets feel more overwhelming, and with the exceptions of those with whom I am very close, being in my own space 24/7 has increased some of my hermit-like ways. For this reason  I've needed to be gentle and slow with the way I re-immerse myself in the outside world, not only out of respect for social distancing rules but also to take into consideration of my own needs and difficulties.


A cartoon image of a man with a laptop inside a house,
symbolizing working from home.
The second way I worry about life for the disabled community post-pandemic is the potential loss of accessibility adjustments. For the first time many disabled people have received the adjustments they've needed for years because it now also benefits the able-bodied and neurotypical population. Such adjustments include working from home, increased grocery delivery slots and online socializing. What will happen when most people can go back to working at the office, shopping with ease and going out? Are both these official and social adjustments going to be lost for all, meaning that they will also be lost to those who still need them and have seen massive improvements in their quality of life as a result of them?


I guess what I'm saying is that maybe we don't need to rush back to what was normal and instead focus on creating a better, more inclusive and less ableist 'normal'. Maybe we can learn from these challenging and difficult times that the old normal wasn't really working.

6 hands of different skin tones and races meet in the middle,
one hand on top of another in a pile.


Stay safe and take care,
Frey x

IMAGES:
https://differentlywired.co.uk/autistic-burnout
https://www.nextiva.com/blog/working-from-home-tips.html
https://www.inclusivecompanies.co.uk/9509-2/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism