Revision, Dyslexia & Learning Languages

Hey All!

It is officially exam season, yay (not)! As a first year this is my first ever assessment period as a university student and I am half way through my exams for this year, an achievement that has required a lot of rewards and a heavy dependance upon the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack. What is also new is that around 6 months or so ago I was diagnosed with Dyslexia. Of course Dyslexia isn't something new, in the sense that it doesn't only become a problem post diagnosis. However, I think that the difficulties that lead to my diagnosis definitely became more obvious during A-Levels and the beginning of university, most likely because of the shift in how I was expected to learn. I had always benefit from teacher-led and multi-sensory education, as well as class-based reading, so what felt like a sudden turn towards independent study was a lot to adjust to. I had never benefited from read and learn type of methods, I had always need tasks and activities, a way of using the information I had been given. This was a fact that only become clearer the more that my Sixth Form tutors tried to prepare us for lectures. This is why I always try to clarify to others that dyslexia isn't just about how well you can read, it's also about memory, how and how well you collect and store information. For me the issue is my short term memory. I love to read but it will be unlikely that I retain the whole plot of a book first time.

Over the academic year I have had to adjust to the style of lectures and find my own methods for learning at home. Although I hope that it would not have changed my decision, it would have also been useful to have known my diagnosis before deciding to study a language with a non-Roman alphabet. Yes, I had studied German previously that had a Roman alphabet and even then it was at times a struggle, my steady development being reliant upon years and years of repetition. The thing about language is that you don't need to just be aware of the information, often you also have to have memorised it. When your short term memory is poor you not only want but need to have information stored in your long term memory, but in fact, in my experience, the poor short term memory can make the transfer itself more difficult. Progress can be harder to maintain, as though for every 3 bricks you build in a house one crumbles away each night, requiring an additional level of persistence.

This is why languages aren't unsuited to dyslexia but the way that they are traditional taught can be, often being based upon memorisation rather than application.

I feel as though my study techniques for term time learning have greatly improved this year, as I have found ways to organise my information in designated notebooks and found methods for maintaining active learning, such as Quizlet. However, the new challenge that May has bought with it is revision. Of course the first thing that does and has aid the dyslexic brain in exam preparation (sorry to say this) is a little work everyday during the year, a approach that promotes long term memory storage over cramming. However, study must also be maintained throughout the exam period and my dyslexic brain is easily bored, forcing me to constantly search for new methods. Furthermore, the loss of class time and support can be frustrating and leave one feeling a little lost at times, also removing a sense of structure. So what have I been doing? How have I been trying to actively learn a language difficult to apply while living in the South of England.
DISCLAIMER: I AM ONLY ONE DYSLEXIC PERSON AND DO NOT YET KNOW MY RESULTS!

As I previously mentioned, at least for me, a key aspect of Dyslexia is a difficulty in processing and retaining information. Of course everyone should take breaks but this is especially important for the dyslexic brain. If the brain has an additional difficulty when processing information, it will be especially prone to information to overload. This means that while Study Blogs may suggest 45 minutes to an 1 hour study sessions with 15 minute breaks, what works better for me seems to be 20-30 minute sessions with 5-10 minute breaks. Though your anxious mind may tell you're wasting time, what you are actually doing is using your time productively. You can 'work' for longer but that won't mean you will remember what you have studied. You could 'work' for 3 hours but in my case I would still only remember what I had studied within the first 30 minutes, meaning that breaks actually prevent me from wasting my time. Working with your brain, not against it, tends to work better so listen to it if it seems to be lagging. Plus you deserve a biscuit break every now and again :)

The next thing that is especially important for me is active over passive learning, meaning doing something with the information rather than simply observing it. This can be hard in university, as you can feel as though your tutors are simply handing you dry information, and lectures don't always feel as though they are promoting creativity. Even with a language active learning can be difficult to achieve, especially when your studying that of a political censored autonomous region 7,394km away. However, that doesn't mean you have to stick to the books or grammar sheets. Doing something with the information for me has mean't writing my own sentences, writing fake letters in Tibetan, creating vocabulary posters with bad clipart that makes me laugh and really taking apart all of the resources I have been given. This also applies to humanities and science. For philosophy I made a story board of the key points of Bundle Theory. Be creative, get out the felt tips, make a game, whatever you need to do to make it stick. Furthermore, you don't only have to see the information as it is handed to you. If you are studying a language and you struggle to remember spelling, you can write silent and heard letters in different colours. If you are studying a humanities and you are struggling to remember a theory, make up your own analogies. If your studying Biology and can't remember the order of taxonomy, write a song! The information your tutors are giving you is normally correct, but the way in which they are giving it to may not be right to you, so change how you see it.

Finally, for the dyslexic mind the key is often combining methods, particularly methods that appeal to different senses. For me my auditory and visual short term memories are weak, so I have to combine the visual or auditory with the kinaesthetic. This is why I make things, because I am doing and seeing. When I am writing a letter my brain remembers reading the words as I write them but it also remembers my hand creating the characters. This logic can be applied is very specific ways, such as writing things in sand with your fingers, or more broad ways, such as using a fidget toy or stress ball as you work (personally I like Tangle Toys). This can also be applied to other senses. Maybe it helps you to use aromatherapy while you study or chew different flavours of gum for different topics. All of this, finding what works for you, takes time but grades aren't the only purpose of education, another key goal of education is developing yourself as a learner.

As someone with anxiety and difficulties trusting my memory to actually do what I want it to I understand that exams can be a incredibly and excruciatingly difficult time. I also understand that the advice I am about to give you may be extremely cliche and I know I am terrible at taking this advice, but exams are not the end of the world and they are not more important than your mental health. Ultimately you can only do your best. However, what is also important to remember is that while dyslexia isn't an excuse it is a reason that you may find certain things more difficult, so don't beat yourself up for struggling and don't compare yourself to others because crucially your brain is different to theres. Regardless of the letter or number on that piece of paper you are valuable and you are intelligent, maybe just in a way that exams struggle to measure. Also, don't be ashamed to take help, whether that be extra time, tutoring, study skill sessions, etc. Pride is important but too much can be a hinderance. Take breaks, enjoy the Sunshine and carry on living, no one deserves to live in their notes for weeks on end. You can do this!

"The Future Belongs to those who Believe in the Beauty of their Dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt

See you Later Alligators!

Freya x



PICTURE SOURCE: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/780248704162571848/
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism