You're an Inspiration: Is it right to call all Disabled Folk motivational?

Hey All!

We all appreciate the odd compliment and like to think that those around us notice or appreciate the things that we do. It is our nature to wish to inspire and be inspired? However, is the impact of this very word weakened when a disabled person is told that they are 'inspirational' simply for not being sad about being disabled? Recently I have been reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Francesca Martinez's book "What the **** is Normal?!" and it has reminded me of this topic's constant relevance and importance. Throughout my life I have come into contact with people who have aimed to congratulate me but have rather patronised me. Sure, compliment my stubborn nature or the things I create or the things I know, but not my ability to simply exist with disability. It is my belief that more often than not being inspirational is not about who you are but rather what you do with who you are, it is an action. This is why today I am constructing you a list of people who as far as I am aware are both able-bodied and disabled (of course we do not know every detail about the lives of celebrities so I may be wrong) but all of whom inspire me.

1. Francesca Martinez - As I have also mentioned Francesca is a writer, but she is also an actress, comedian and political activist. Francesca fights not only for disabled rights but the wider betterment of society of all, having worked closely with the national Labour party. She has also made clear here positive attitude towards the idea of being 'wobbly' and would rather joke and smile than cry about the serious stuff. She is also an absolutely genius writer, combining humour and feeling to create an experience in which reading feels effortless.


2. Hayao Miyazaki - A creative genius, Hayao Miyazaki is the mind behind such masterpieces as Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro. However, Miyazaki's works are not just stunning pieces of art but also a huge source of inspiration for young girls. He was quoted as saying "Many of my movies have strong female leads - brave, self-sufficient girls that don't think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart. They'll need a friend, a supporter, but never a saviour. Any woman is just as capable of being a hero as any man." Miyazaki's film are not only enjoyable but also strides forward.


3. Stitch - I know what you are thinking, Stitch is an animated Disney character. Lilo and Stitch is not only the film I watch when I need comfort and entertainment but also what I seek when I need inspiration. A literal alien experiment, when placed on Earth Stitch is the dictionary definition of an outsider, exactly what his best friend Lilo feels like at the beginning as she tells her sister "They treat me differently." Stitch is a great friend but additionally a great example of embracing your individuality. Not only does he not look at difference when considering Lilo and Nani as family and fight for those he loves, but as the films and series continue Stitch also does nothing to hide his energy and excitement for life. I like to think I have zest of Stitch Pelekai.


4. Jules Robertson - Playing Jason on Holby City, one of my favourite characters in possibly my favourite show of all time, Jules had to make this list. I knew very little about Jules Robertson the actor until very recently when a google search led me to an individual with an amazing amount of confidence and personality. He describes himself as "a genius actor" and has said that his autism will not get in the way of his career as an actor. Though some knock confidence as vain I see only good things as coming from a state of self-appreciation and from interviews I have gathered that Jules knows just how much we enjoy his performances every Tuesday night. Jules was part of Scope's '30 Under 30' and frankly Holby wouldn't be the same without them.


5. Caitlin Moran - I actually met Caitlin a couple of years ago as a WOW event for her book 'Moranifesto.' A brilliantly clever and wildly amusing writer, I was so incredibly happy to find that she is also a delightful human being. Caitlin puts the fun in feminism and has a unique way of discussing other issues close to her, such as her experience of growing up working close. 'How to Build a Girl' actually got me through one of my last ops! I look forward to seeing what this amazingly intelligent woman does next.


As you can see all these people (or experiments) have all done things to inspire me, emphasis on done. None of them motivated or impressed me just by existing within a situation, but rather by doing something great within that inspiration. If I or another disabled individual does something cool than do tell us, I received lots of lovely compliments after starting this blog. Just don't tell us you'd hate to be disabled or that you're impressed that we had the self-love to carry on another day, we will most likely not appreciate it. We do cool things sometimes and disability CAN make those things harder, notice those instead.

See you later alligators!

Freya x


PHOTO SOURCES:
https://www.pinterest.com/sassyhelper1/disabled/
https://www.sofeminine.co.uk/news-celebrities/caitlin-moran-s-daughter-took-over-her-twitter-and-the-result-was-supe-s1037635.html
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4691618/
https://store.line.me/stickershop/product/2242/en
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/HayaoMiyazaki
http://www.funny-things.co.uk/event/francesca-martinez-conversation-barbara-nice/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism