Disability & Travel: Tips for a Day Out

Hey!

Tomorrow I am travelling back into London for the day (I am currently home for the summer) for an event. Because of this absolutely amazing but potentially tiring day out I'm planning to get an early night, meaning this might be a slightly shorter and more concise post. Therefore, I thought this would be the perfect time to share my - tips for a day out when also dealing with chronic pain, fatigue, anxiety and potential overstimulation. I may seem particular but it's all entirely necessary for me to enjoy my trip.

1. Do any preemptive pain management methods recommended to you - for me this means possibly taking my medication to prevent pain rather than ease it, or this might just mean packing a few essentials (deep heat, pain killers, etc.) Of course when taking medication always follow the doctors instructions!

2. Do any planning that will put your mind at rest - I can experience reasonable anxiety if things feel unknown or out of my control and this can cause me to become overwhelmed. For this reason for big trips or days out I may put together an information pack containing anything important, such as tickets, maps, schedules and even information about nearby restaurants! I need to know where to find good food at all times! I found this particularly helpful for Comic Con last month.

3. Wear sensible shoes - whether this be my converse or my DMs I always go for comfort over fashion (even if it does help that my black converse go with everything). I always wear practical, well-worn in shoes with good ankle support to prevent accidents and pain. Boots may not be dainty but neither am I!

4. Carry your stuff comfortable - with the number of cool trendy backpacks available nowadays there is no reason for your bag to cause you discomfort or frustration. I always go for backpacks because they keep me balance, evenly distribute the weight across my back and leave my hands free. Plus, there is normally plenty more space for necessities!

5. Use your aids - whether it be a stick or a TFL 'please offer me a seat' badge try not to feel embarrassed to use your aids and do your best to keep them accessible. I know that this easier said than down but you deserve to enjoy your day! Try not to let what strangers may think ruin your fun.

6. Fidgets & Gadgets - I get massively overwhelmed by noisy environments, public transport, change and business. This can make living in London a challenge but travelling around London an even bigger one. This is why I always keep a tangle toy and my headphones in my bag, as well as chew jewellery around my neck. All these things give me something to focus on and keep me a tad calmer and more grounded. Plus, who doesn't love a toy?!

7. Ask for help - if physically or emotionally it would make your day easier don't be afraid to ask for company. It may not always be simple finding an available buddy but asking never hurts, plus travelling is always more fun with a good friend! You may need practical help or maybe just some moral support. I find that my good friends are always able to distract when I feel achey or overwhelmed.

I would also recommend rest prior to the day so I'm gonna head to bed myself! I hope you all enjoy your future adventures and that any of my advice helps you prepare yourself. I'll be back soon with a new post!


Later Alligators!

Freya x


PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.mrsmithworldphotography.com/photograph-of-Tower-Bridge-and-City-Skyline-4-London-England/WOF_L053_0135

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism