Thank God for the NHS!

Hey All!

Tonight's episode of Holby City (my absolute favourite soap opera, being the only one I follow) was a show dedicated to marking the 70th anniversary of the NHS. That's why despite the time, I thought it would be the perfect moment to write this particular post. If no one objects the following post will simply be me gushing over the NHS and all it has done for me personally, sorry not sorry!

I think it's incredibly easy but dangerous for any of us with access to the NHS to take its services for granted. This is especially true within today's political climate, with certain individuals currently in power pushing for privatisation and allowing cuts that will only put our national health service under increased pressure. Indeed, less funding and support, as well as the potential loss of staff due to Brexit, have left our NHS fragile. However, some take this as a cue to criticise rather than support those who keep the NHS alive despite the interference of those who clearly undervalue it, preferring to label the system as flawed rather than highlight the messed up priorities of those with true influence. It is evident to me that those with such attitudes are ignoring the strength and compassion of those NHS workers who keep the services running for all who need them, as well as forgetting that we all at some point may need the help of the health care that the NHS provides. No solution is ever perfect but how can one think to turn their nose up at the idea of a free health care system ran by people who are truly passionate about caring for others is beyond me.


Personally I'm not entirely sure where I might be today without the NHS. Of course my family and other love ones would always have fought to get me the support I required, but it would be a HUGE lie to say that access to a free health care system hasn't made life a hell of a lot easier and massively benefited the management of my conditions. The simple fact that the necessary tests and assessments, followed by the suggested treatments and support, were never going to cost me an arm and leg made the task of getting my own limbs to operate properly a lot simpler. Having the opportunity to receive years of physiotheraphy, leg splints, additional equipment, appointments and surgeries for no cost meant that the physical, social and emotional stresses of growing up with cerebral palsy weren't also met with the obscene financial burden that may have been present had I been born in the US. Additionally, as I have gotten older and faced other challenges I haven't ever had to consider whether I can afford to visit my GP or receive treatment, having also been given hearing aids and access to mental health resources free of charge. Sometimes it's nothing but sometimes it's something so not having to save up for a doctor's appointment isn't something I've always considered but is now something I am incredibly grateful for! But while the cost free nature of the NHS is obviously amazing, what is the true saving grace is that through years of being reliant upon the system I have only ever be met with kindness and care from medical professionals who are truly passionate about improving my quality of life. When you're cared for by the NHS you're not only treated but you're looked after. From my own experience, staff are always working their hardest to provide the best service possible with the limited resources they have been given.

However, I think it's important to remember that one doesn't need to have experienced disability or chronic illness in order to show appreciation for the NHS. Ultimately, illness can hit anyone at any time so not having to panic over the bill after emergency surgery is always a blessing. Sometimes surgery is planned and prepared for (in my case it has been,) but sometimes it isn't and I can't imagine what it must feel like not knowing you were going into theatre and waking up with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of debt. Even those with the ability or desire to opt for private health care will most likely have a reason to be grateful for free and universal health care. Statistics from 2016 say that the NHS deals with over one million patients every 36 hours in England alone (https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/overview.aspx). This heavily suggests, if not explicitly states, that we will all know and love someone who is dependent upon the care of the NHS at sometime in their life. The NHS looks after us, our families, our friends, our teachers, our co-workers and even our doctors, and doesn't get nearly as much praise as it deserves for doing so.

So this is a massive thank you to every consultant, surgeon, nurse, junior doctor, GP and all other members of staff who have, do or will work unimaginably hard everyday to keep our NHS going! I'd also like to personally thank, just in case, every person within the NHS who has ever provided me the support or treatment that has lead me to where I am today. Let's stop pointing the finger and believing politicians that say the system is faulty so that we can focus our energies on advocating for funding and supporting those who work continuously to ensure that illness will never cost us.

Thank God for the NHS!

See you later Alligators!


IMAGE SOURCES:
https://healthwatchtrafford.co.uk/news/local-health-and-care-heroes-sought-for-awards-marking-70-years-of-the-nhs/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holby_City

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism