Fidget Toys: I am never still

Hey Everyone!

I have always been a restless person. As a child I found it especially difficult to stay still, and now I am able to recognise much of my fidgety behaviour as stimming. Particular methods of stimming or particular movements that I have been able to recognise seem to be heightened when I am especially under or over stimulated. When I am bored or there is little going on I have always tended to bite my nails, chew on my clothes or bounce my legs. When I am excited or anxious I jump, skip, flap my hands and also bounce my legs. I find such movements soothing and also balancing when the situation is either too much or too little. While such behaviour was not recognised as stimming when I was child I am now able to reflect and recognise it as such. Particular examples that spring to mind include chewing on my school uniform and hair, bouncing around and swinging my arms. Of course, as this description would suggest, stimming behaviour can be performed using only what a person has on them or their own body, not necessary requiring additional equipment. However, over the last year or so I have discovered the world of fidget toys and found them to be incredibly useful and enjoyable.

I really got into fidget toys at the beginning of my first year of university. This was around the time that I had seriously started considering the possibility that I was on the spectrum and I had also started to notice just how much I fidget, realising that I concentrated far better when I didn't have to stay still and that certain 'stims' helped me to calm myself down when necessary. Having my own money for the very first time, I thought I might explore the world of fidget toys a little, having seen some of my close friends use different ones. This was also during a particularly difficult patch with my trichotillomania, so I thought I would see if it could help with that too.

The first type of fidget toy I used and possible the most well known category of fidget toys is hand fidget toys, referring to toys which keep your hands occupied. Part of the reason I turned to this type first was the possibility it could help cope with my trichotillomania, as well as the fact that they are the most talked about. Fidget spinners had never appealed me. Although the reason many of my more body focused 'stims' (e.g. bouncing my legs) sooth me is their repetitive nature, I wanted a toy that could used in many different ways and that required a little more imagination in its uses. I had seen a few different people who I follow online use 'Tangle Toys' and I thought that I would give them a try. These have now become a staple of my collection and I use them on a daily basis, never leaving the house without one. I find the way they move in my hands relaxing and the fact that they can be used in so many different ways means that they give me something interesting to focus on in difficult situations. I also found that even just having one in my right hand helped me to keep my fingers out of my hair. Because they are quite simple it's easy to have it just rolling over itself in your hand it doesn't necessary have to be the focus of the situation and can help aid concentration while completing other tasks, e.g. writing, exams, etc. I find it comforting just to have in everyday situations and frankly, now I don't know what I would do without.
I have in fact tried other hand-based fidget toys throughout the last year that have provided me with lots of fun and relaxation, such as stretchy dinosaurs, stress balls, water-snakes and putty. However, while these are incredibly enjoyable I tend not to take them out and about, making them less of a staple than the tangles.


Another key type of sensory/fidget toy I have tried this year is chewable jewellery. This came slightly later in my sensory exploration, being a slightly more neurodiverse-specific kind of toy and therefore a far less talk about piece of kit. As I mentioned earlier, I have always chewed on things, sinking my teeth into everything from my clothes to my nails to my headphone cord (do not chew on cables!). However, when I was school I often chewed on pens meaning that this particular stimming behaviour was never really picked up on. Everyone chewed on their pens, didn't they?! It wasn't until I reached university and spent a little less time with a pen in my hand that I noticed just how much I chewed. It seemed that while other people chewed on their pens and nails but didn't have the urge to go any further, I NEEDED to chew. At one point I noticed that for me chewing was a key example of sensory seeking, when I found myself chewing the plastic off my Stitch phone case. I've now noticed that I've chewed and that I've always found it calming and stimulating. For this reason I decided that I needed something safe to chew on and this was when I found Chewigem. I love my Chewigems and these are another item I use incredibly frequently, almost daily! My favourite chew is my black cat because not only is it a subtle chew-toy but it is also incredibly soft and smooth. I find that my Chewigem pieces suit both the situations in which I 'stimm' the most, when I'm anxious and when I'm bored. They're absolutely great and totally safe! I love all the funky designs and colours too!

I say that no-one should be ashamed of stimming. Of course it is important to be aware of certain movements that could cause bodily harm (e.g. head-banging), but if your 'stims' aren't hurting anyone than I'd say go for it! They can help us to feel so much better, often being enjoyable and soothing. For many of us we are so much calmer and so much better at concentrating when we are allowed to 'stim,' meaning it is actually so much worse to try and force us to sit still. For some people they are also a vital aspect of communication. Many of my closest friends are able to tell exactly how I'm feeling if I'm flapping, jumping or bouncing my legs, communicating my feelings even when I'm struggling to put them into words. For people who are less verbal than myself being aloud to communicate with their stimming is crucial! Ultimately, stimming is another part of what makes us who we are and I actually find the way I move is something that reflects my personality, my skipping and bouncing communicating just how energetic and excitable I truly am. Fidget toys are just another way to embrace the way we move and think, and for that reason I think they're great.


I'm seeing Christopher Robin tomorrow so I've been bouncing and flapping all evening!

Hope you are all well!

See you later Alligators!

Freya x

PHOTO SOURCES:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tangle-Jr-Fiddle-Fidget-Stress-ADHD-Autism-SEN-Sensory-Help-Stop-Smoking-Toy-/132205187573
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwinguCI_-_cAhVQzhoKHRTWAmoQjxx6BAgBEAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fchewigem.com%2F&psig=AOvVaw17m_GeX3lLGHdO47yyC-qc&ust=1534454624888996

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism