ASC: Moving and Changing Routine

Hey All!

Sorry that this post is coming to you a little later than my usual Wednesday evening upload time. This week has just been SO overwhelming; moving into a new flat, returning to uni and starting a new job has obviously been a lot for me to process! However, it does lead me on nicely to today's topic...

For a lot of us on the spectrum routine is a key part of our lives and something we depend on in order to feel in control and understand the world around us. It is for this reason that we can really struggle when our routine is suddenly changed. This is something I've been finding challenging myself recently. Quite often the change I struggle with concerns the smallest things, things that those around me would never consider to be a problem. For example, we don't have WiFi in our flat yet so I didn't get to watch Holby on Tuesday (no spoilers please!) and this has thrown me off a bit. Another example would be my new shift hours changing my meal schedule. While I may have dealt with these changes very well as far as those around me are concerned, they still upset and unnerve me.

I think another routine challenge that comes with a change in surroundings is trying to establish a new routine to fit your new arrangement. One of the things that I think a lot of neurotypical individuals get wrong about autistic folks is that our needing routine stems from routine coming naturally to us. It's as though people think that we are born with a spreadsheet of our daily activities in one hand and a yearly planner in the other! For some people it may be incredibly easy to establish a routine but for others we still need to put effort into finding a schedule that works for us. Our need for routine doesn't always equate to the ease with which we find one. Personally I've been working on creating weekly timetables which contain all of my shifts, classes and activities so I have a clearer idea of what and how much I have going on.

Change is tough, I know that, and this time of year many people might be struggling with it even more then usual but in my personal experience all you can do is try to have some things around which are entirely dependable. Whether this is a hobby you always do on the same day or a friend you know is always there for you, it's always reassuring to have something you can rely on. For this reason I'm going to spend lots of time with people I care about and go back to posting on Wednesdays!

Look after yourselves!

See you later Alligator!

Freya x

PHOTO SOURCE: http://oculos.me/clipart-house-move/move-clipart-house-jpg-fit-248-2c273-with-clipart-house-move/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism