#WorldMentalHealthDay: ASC and Mental Health

Hi All!

Today is #WorldMentalHealthDay. I have been quite open on this page about my history with anxiety, mood problems and trichotillomania, so today I thought I'd talk about my more recent experiences with getting to know the relationship between my autism and my mental health.

This year's theme, I've been told, is young people and mental health in a changing world. As a young person with autism it feels like the world is constantly changing and changing far too quickly. The kind of change I mean here isn't global progress but rather that small, personal change that can send you spinning. We can all struggle with large change every now and again but for the autistic individual it can feel even more dizzying.

So what does this have to do with mental health? As many of you may be aware recently I've been forced to process an awlful lot of change, moving to somewhere new, going back to university, a new job. All these things are ultimately good experiences but they are also loud and big and the kind that feel wavy, almost wobbly. They'd be a lot for any young person but it doesn't help that change is a particular difficulty of mine. It overwhelms me, confuses me, makes me anxious. I think this is in part because I notice every little part of change, the loss of routine, the possessions that are no longer there, the new scents.

A big part of my autistic experience is feeling more vulnerable to everything around me, both in a sensory and emotional sense, which change is a part of. This can leave me prone to feeling overloaded with things to take in and process and this can lead to higher levels of anxiety. When I can't process everything the world expects me to this can cause meltdown or shutdown, leaving the world even more confused about me.

Mental Health problems are more common among those with autism spectrum disorders, and many autistic women are diagnosed with a whole host of mental health problems before an ASD diagnosis. I can understand why, both logically and from experience. The world is a lot for the autistic individual and world doesn't always like to recognise this. Change is just one example of something that makes the world challenging for folks on the spectrum. There's also the literal volume and chaos of the world, the pressure to conform and the stigma around autism. It makes perfect sense why so many of us struggle.

So to those also living on the spectrum, don't be asked to say when you're struggling, lots of us often are and understand you. We are surviving in a world that wasn't built for us. Don't be afraid to say you need support and be proud to say you need to practice a little extra self care. I know a lot of this is easier said than done but we need to start putting our needs first, not the stigma.

Take care of yourselves.

See you later Alligators!

Freya x

PHOTO SOURCE: http://www.southsomersetmind.co.uk/world-mental-health-awareness-day-2018.asp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism