2019: New Resolutions for Mental Health

Hey!

Hope you are well! Sorry for the slight break in posts over Christmas, I just felt that following some of my difficulties at the end of last term I needed that time to take care of myself and relieve some of the pressure I felt under. Now I am back and I'm looking forward to a whole new year of content and conversation, especially since there will be so much to talk about, such as my year abroad and turning 21! It looks as though there will lots of new, exciting things happening on this blog in 2019!

Mental health and the new year is what I wanted to talk about today. New Year's Resolutions are always an interesting topic; some people make them and some people don't, some people stick to them and some people abandon them. My New Year's Resolutions last year were very focused upon work and productivity. My focus was mostly upon getting a job, saving money and specific grade goals, and while all these goals were incredibly important at the time and I still want to continue to succeed in some of these areas, if the last couple of months have shown me anything it's that I need to better prioritise my mental health and self-care practises. We often look at New Years Resolutions in terms of improving ourselves according to societal standards. Common New Year's Resolutions focus on weight loss, increased productivity, financial success or organisation. If these changes make you happy and you are striving these goals purely for your own benefit than that is great but I think it's time that we start to validate goals that are selfish or that don't necessarily fit with society's ideals of success. This might be take more time for yourself, taking steps to improve your mental wellbeing or simply starting a hobby that has nothing to do with your professional or academic progress.

(Freya is stood by a boat called Freya in the Summer)

I myself are attempting to implement these kind of goals into my own life this year with the following New Year's Resolutions:
1. Read 10 books that are not for university this year
2. Get back into journaling and taking photos
3. Prioritise my mental health
4. Research types of therapy that might work for me
5. Prepare for my year abroad in India
6. Try horse-riding again

I know that these goals aren't optimised towards productivity; many of them aren't overly specific or placed within a time frame, many of them are relatively vague. I also know that none of them are particularly geared towards my academic, financial or professional success. However, after my recent and past mental health struggles I feel as though what I need aren't success goals or productivity goals but rather kind goals, goals that are geared towards doing things which I love and things which will benefit my emotional wellbeing.

Do you have any New Year's Resolutions this year? What are you planning to do to improve your self-care?

I wish you all a kind and happy 2019!

See you later Alligators!

Freya x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism