Cerebral Palsy: Getting Literal Support

Hey!

I hope you are well and having a fantastic 2019 so far! I can't believe that we are already halfway through the first month of the year! Today I wanted to talk about cerebral palsy, a topic I haven't focused very much recently. Even though cerebral palsy affects me in many ways every single day, I no longer receive regular medical attention for this particular facet of my disability and not a lot changes in my condition. For this reason I perhaps talk about cerebral palsy a little less; it's the diagnosis I've lived with the longest and is the most stagnant. However, I recently made the decision to purchase myself a walking stick and thought this may be a good experience to share.

As I have already mentioned, I don't really see any doctors or other medical professionals on the basis of cerebral palsy anymore, meaning that the decision to get a stick was entirely my own. I don't think that this fact makes my decision or use of a walking stick any less valid. I live with a condition and made a decision that I believe could make life easier. Even those without a concrete diagnosis have the right to deal with symptoms in anyway that they see fit. This isn't to say that medical advice isn't valuable, but simply to say that we need to place more personal autonomy within the disabled experience.
I had been considering buying a stick for some time now. I can often find myself feeling unsteady when I have become fatigued and I live with a certain amount of muscle pain around joint areas and back pain. I was in part inspired, a creator who has within the last year had two surgeries for Crohn's Disease and now has a stoma (btw the way she is one of my favourite people on the internet!). Following surgery, which had largely impacted her core strength, she started using a walking stick for some time. It was amazing to see someone only a few years older than me using a stick and making that decision for themselves. A walking stick is the kind of mobility aid which is most definitely associated with particular conditions and age groups. And yet here was someone who was rising above that stigma and making the right decision for their own health! Awesome!

I actually found my walking stick just walking past a very traditional umbrella and cane store near Tottenham Court Road. I had been researching sticks on and off for a little while by this point and had a clear idea of the kind of thing I would want. I had seen a lot of folding sticks, which really appealed to me because I could always have it with me without always using it! I also favoured sticks with bold colourful designs; I knew that I would want something that would suit my personality and youth. This day I saw exactly what I wanted, a folding walking stick covered in red and purple flowers, and I went for it! I actually had an amazing experience in the store itself and wasn't made at all uncomfortable as a young person buying a cane. I was asked any weird questions or made to prove anything. I was made to feel like the whole situation was entirely normal and I really appreciated that! I now had my stick!

I've been trying to keep my stick with me all the time, even if some days I don't need it until the evening. Just having the stick when walking around central London has made me feel a lot more confident. I have a little extra support when walking or on public transport, making me feel more steady on my feet. I have also found that it has forced me to slow down in a good way, encouraging me to take things steady and reducing my chances of an accident in the process. Also, the fact that I have the stick means that I feel as though it is more acceptable for me to go slow. No one's expecting me to be cheetah fast! All in all I would say that my stick has been super helpful so far and a great friend to lean on (sorry, terrible pun intended!).

Moral of the story? I know
it can be hard but try not to let the fear of how others may perceive you stop you from making decisions that may better your everyday life. It's your life, your body and your decision!

Look after yourself <3

See you later Alligator!
Freya x
PHOTO SOURCE:
https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/2497869/crutches_disability_disabled_stick_patient_walker_walking_stick_icon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism