Autism Awareness Week: My First AAW Post-Diagnosis

Hey!

Hope you are well! Sorry for the short break, things are really tough at the moment but I am working on getting help. But I'm back, and just in time for Autism Awareness Week! This last year, following my own diagnosis of ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) last summer, autism has kind of become it's own special interest for me. This isn't uncommon from what I've heard of other's diagnosis experiences, many of us on the spectrum enjoy intense research and figuring things out and a diagnosis which could help to explain a lifetime of difficulties is a big deal. A big part of this year has been figuring out what autism means for me and raising awareness to the fact that I am autistic to those around me, both for my own sake and for the wider community.

My first AAW has come at a weird time for me. My mental health is in a very difficult place right now, as I continue to struggle with depression and anxiety as well as the consequences of how I deal with these conditions. Many might think that this would take my attention away from autism, but it isn't quite that simple. Autism and mental health problems have a complex relationship. Being a person with a mental health condition is difficult enough in this society, being an autistic individual with a mental health condition is even more complicated. It's confusing; trying to figure out how you feel and how to deal with those feelings as an individual with autism can already be a challenge but when you're dealing with the sometimes scarier and more complex emotions attached to mental illness it can be even harder. You've also got to navigate how your current mental health difficulties may affect those you care about, how to self-regulate and how to communicate that you need help or support, all challenges of mental illness that can be impacted by the emotional and social challenges of being on the spectrum. Not only are mental health problems more common among those of the spectrum but they can also be more difficult to cope with. This is why I feel unsure about how to go about celebrating my first AAW with a diagnosis.

I guess that one answer to this question is self-care, by which I mean loving myself and all of the parts of me that my autism has contributed to. This might means indulging in my special interests, or doing what I can to try and mask less this week or embracing my the quirks of my silly personality. This could mean practicing a more compassionate approach to the areas I struggle with and not putting my self down; not forcing myself into overwhelming social situations, not beating myself up for my social confusions, being kinder to myself. At this time when everything is a bit of a struggle maybe AAW is a good place in which to appreciate and care for myself.

I'm going to blogging a little more this week so if you have any autism related topics you are interested in let me know!

Look after yourself <3

See you later Alligator!
Freya x

PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/autistic-pride-day-2018-2/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism