Capitalism and the Job Sector are Ableist

Good Afternoon,

I hope you having an absolutely glorious summer whether you are. Today's topic isn't exactly the most cheerful, sunny topic. Having recently finished university for the year I have been looking for some work so that I can support myself in London for the summer. Trying to get a job is rarely easy for anyone, however the system is undoubtedly ableist. We live in a society where the goal is so often making money and if working with so one requires a change of perspective or environment then that is seen as a frustrating obstacle rather than opportunity to work with a new person with potential skills and experiences.

It's true, being disabled or someone who struggles with mental health does increase your life admin, but it kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth when I'm turned away from a full time position because I have regular appointments. This summer I have also found my autism has been a greater challenge in finding employment. It's hard to not feel like you just can't do anything right. The kind of jobs that are often available to current students are rarely the kind of jobs with a HR department capable of supporting those on the spectrum. There is very little understanding around the fact that autistic children grow up to be autistic adults in the job sector, and that means there's very little understanding and compassion extended towards those who may experience increased anxiety, sensory overload or meltdowns during the day. This is yet another symptom of living in a construct where the British pound is worth more than the individual, where difference is a barrier rather than being utilized and celebrated.

(Photo Caption: British money, pound coins and notes)

Even before you get to the job, the application itself can be a challenge for disabled folk. I always find the disability section on job applications notoriously hard to complete. Telling someone about my conditions before they meet me face to face feels incredibly uncomfortable. When I give them those words I have no idea what images will come to their mind. I find this to be especially difficult with cerebral palsy (CP). If I write mild CP I don't know if the image that comes to mind will be accurate, whether they will underestimate me. The bigger hear is obviously that disabled folks are too often underestimated and not given enough opportunities to show their talents. It's a difficult because I always want to be proud of my identity but I don't want others to use that pride to limit me.

I am still on the hunt and trying to come up with other ways to support myself independently. What's your experience with employment and have you felt underestimated by the system?

Look after yourself <3

See you later Alligator,
Freya x

PHOTO SOURCE:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/uk-currency-photographs-4123326

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winnie the Pooh: Piglet and Anxiety

Spock vs. Data: Who is the true autistic icon of Star Trek?

Adulting with Autism